The enhanced requirements will apply to both new and existing vehicles. The changes are:
• Durable rear and side markings with higher retro-reflective properties will be used; i.e. the new markings will have to comply with the UN ECE Regulation Number 104 instead of the current BS.AU 152:1970 standard;
• The colour of rear and side markings will be red and yellow respectively, instead of the existing chevron colour scheme of alternating red and yellow stripes for both markings; and
• Long vehicles will now have three side markings (instead of one side marking currently required for trailers) fitted on each side of the vehicle / trailer.
In addition, the following requirements are no longer necessary:
• The "Long Vehicle" sign, currently required for goods vehicles and trailers with overall length exceeding 13 metres; and
• Flank lights for trailers used as the increase in the number of side markings as well as the higher retro-reflective properties of the markings are sufficient.